An Instagib Teeworlds Clan

finest quality spinning since 2008

IRC: #monkeystyle on quakenet

Junior Program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MonkeyStyle Forum Index // Other Topics // Floody discussions - Public
Previous topic :: Next topic  
eschen
Diddy Kong
Diddy Kong

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2009, 23:03    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
So how do you MS guys feel about a "Junior Program"? Imho it would be good for the whole TW community if "big" clans would take in some mediocre/"good" people to train with /play with because TW needs more dedicated players OFC that statement is totally unselfish :P

Discuss.
Publicité

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2009, 23:03    Post subject: Publicité
PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
~{MS}~ Eve
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2009, 23:42    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
Personnaly not interested, because I don't have the time for this.

Moreover, if people want to learn from us, they can either:

- spectate us
- look on teetv
- play against us on our servers

By the way, I want to amphasize the fact that people always quit the server when they face a team composed of MS. People don't want to get killed and to lose. If they stayed and learned from those games, they would surely get better. It's up to public people to come and play.
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2009, 23:57    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
hello eschen, welcome to our board

in principle i like this idea, but, as i already told you in IRC, i'm definitely eve's opinion, we really don't have enough time to organize this adequate and in some satisfactory way, and we also don't want to share some of our surely far to less teeworlds-time to do even more "paperwork"-stuff than now. As ya might know we are all very busy, working, studying and stuff.
Diddy Kong
Diddy Kong

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 00:15    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
~{MS}~ Eve wrote:

- spectate us
- look on teetv
- play against us on our servers

By the way, I want to amphasize the fact that people always quit the server when they face a team composed of MS. People don't want to get killed and to lose. If they stayed and learned from those games, they would surely get better. It's up to public people to come and play.

- spectate us -> you dont LEARN from spectating ... you can maybe copy some positions but thats basically all
- look on teetv -> same as spectating
- play against you -> see*

By the way, I want to amphasize the fact .... -> (*) getting more or less spawnraped isnt educating ... been there ... done that. If ppl already HAD a clan that would be a choice but that beats the whole purpose of the Junior Program. Playing with random pubs against a well organized clan on a pub server ... you dont learn much playing like that.

I dont get whats time consuming if you have like say a "B-Team" which is composed of your trainees. I mean you can play with them (give them one more player or w/e) or you can play a mixture of MS Members and the "B-Team". I dont think finding people is a problem i mean they even come to you *cough cough* it just means you have more "reliable" ppl to play with and you dont have to "give" much in return.
~{MS}~ OverPowered
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 00:19    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
It's not for my patience, sorry. I've never thought about being any kind of teacher :P I always shout badly at my mentees...
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 00:31    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
I like the Junior Program idea, but i think it wouldn't really work. People earn their skills by just playing with better players, and even though it would be great for community, it also would be useless. If anybody REALLY wanted to learn from us, they would just find us ingame and say "could you teach me that trick?". I love teaching (that's my part-time RL job), and such a program would theoretically work. I'd love other players to learn from me, but it would require too much time and attention. We all have lives, and we all learned the hard way, by playing with uber-pro killz0rz.

I'm not saying NO, I'm just saying "not right now". Let's see what the future shows, right now there's too much going on.

Stick to the topic or I'll stick my stick up your...
Diddy Kong
Diddy Kong

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 00:33    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
It's a really nice idea, but also don't think that ~{MS}~ can provide this service. Currently I don't think we have sufficient resources in both time and educational knowledge to educate anyone in an adequate way. The fact that we're good players doesn't make us good teachers. I wouldn't know what to explain to any other player, besides "just play against us and take notice of your mistakes". Also our main focus lays on instagib, which isn't exactly a genre where one can explain a lot (press left mouse button to shoot, try not to die), or where the major interest of the community is (that's vanilla after all).

And I also don't really see why it's necessary. When I started playing I was no better then anyone else, and only by playing day after day I improved my skills to the degree that they became suitable for a professional clan like ~{MS}~. I did not ever receive nor felt the need for any sort of training. Anything I learned from others I learned the hard way, from playing against them, facing my mistakes and making sure I wouldn't make them again. There are no golden rules which when strictly followed will make you or any other player any better. It's simply impossible to explain certain movements, techniques and hookings that we only developed by practice. If anyone asks me for any help or has any questions I'll be the first to help them out though of course .
MSN Skype
~{MS}~ Eve
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 01:31    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
I guess all have been said so far... The fact is that, and some have said, that we all learned by ourselves, and obviously that's why we all have different play styles, even comparing attackers with attackers and defenders with defenders. In my opinion, the only thing that could be teached is the hooking paths. But they can be learned by spectating
Diddy Kong
Diddy Kong

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 09:09    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
OK, first let me thank you for considering it - im trying to get more clans to start such a program cause honestly ... the clan scene is very small in TW and im glad you (at least) think about it - thats more than styx did :P

I dont know where you get the idea that each and every one of you has to be like a personal trainer for the "B-Team". I didnt mean you should take in 20 people i thought maybe 2 ~ 4. Its not the hooking paths that this should train, its (above all) Teamwork and how to play in a "good" clan. I mean learning hooking paths on a special map doesnt take a week but learning good teamplay and how to react to certain situations you encounter when playing with clan, that's what takes time imho.

I'd be glad if you maybe think about this proposal again, when you have a little more time on your hands.

kthxbai
~{MS}~ Tho
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 10:41    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
Once again, you can learn all that stuff by playing on public servs. Just look at any good player, you'll see the basics of the ictf strategies. So hm, I know what you mean but as I said, I agree with what everyone said above.

Behold bastard son, I am the evil one !
~{MS}~ Eve
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 11:19    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
Currently at work, but I guess I can answer though.

Quote:
I dont know where you get the idea that each and every one of you has to be like a personal trainer for the "B-Team". I didnt mean you should take in 20 people i thought maybe 2 ~ 4. Its not the hooking paths that this should train, its (above all) Teamwork and how to play in a "good" clan. I mean learning hooking paths on a special map doesnt take a week but learning good teamplay and how to react to certain situations you encounter when playing with clan, that's what takes time imho.

Firstly, I don't agree when you say that learning paths takes less than a week. Why? Because on each map there are different paths (let's see ctf2 for e.g, I personally use 5 paths - without counting the paths I know but never use), and some of them require lots of time to be mastered on an empty map, and then in a map full of ennemies.

Secondly, I don't really get the point of your Teamwork thing. I mean, at first glance teamwork is more about :

1- not being selfish and egocentric
2- communication / sharing information with mates

Yes, this seems to me all of it. This is common sens. Some players come in game with that teamplay thing, without having to think about it. Others don't, and only try to score for themselves. A team game must be won by the team, and not by one or two individuals. Here are some very very very basic examples of teamplay, which I unfortunately quite never see (to tell the truth, i'm really surprised when I see someone do that - except of my mates):

- covering the flag carrier by following him
- covering the flag carrier at all costs in the double flags situations
- not staying in the way of other tees when you don't have speed
- not waiting the flag carrier to be killed so as to get the flag yourself
- defending if you see that no one does, even if you are an attacker - inverse works as well
- encouraging your team mates, always better than telling them that they are noobs, even if you think it, and even if it can be true

As you can see... nothing very special or tricky... common sens... and we aren't smarter than any one else. We just play as a team, and not as an individual. For eye candy, here is a little graph to make my statements explained the best way.

Selfish tee:

Pre condition:

<< i wanna be the best, I'll make the best score, noobs >>

Result:

<< omg my team is noob, they are doing nothing, I can only count on myself >>

Conclusion:

<< we lost because of this noob team I have. Ok I'll insult them and then quit >> ... * Stupid_kid left the game

Teamplay tee:

Pre condition:

<< ok guys let's try to win all together. I def, you attack >>

Result:

<< Hm... my team seems to have a lack in attack, and we have good defenders. Let's try to support the attackers >>

Conclusion:

<< gg all, nice play from all of you >> ... * Teamplay_tee voted for restarting this good game
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb 2009, 12:30    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
Hehehe

Stick to the topic or I'll stick my stick up your...
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Fri 13 Feb 2009, 11:11    Post subject: Junior Program Reply with quote
imo, dont get me wrong I love teeworlds but training new players (further known as noobs in a kind way) HECK NO! Ive been playing games for ages, did myt time of fps and went on to teeworlds... it took me like a few months to get skilled and then I joined MS... tbh players that are crap dont have to skills and will never get it, not beeing mean here but If they are crap they most curtainly lack the motivation to train properly. Rome wasnt build in a day and so arn't skillz0rs.so to all the noobs and crappy players: want to get better? Put more effort in to it in stead of leeching of good clans.

/end opinion

but I do think its nice of u to help the community!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 00:51    Post subject: Junior Program
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MonkeyStyle Forum Index // Other Topics // Floody discussions - Public All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create my own forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
alexisBlue v1.2 // Theme Created By: Andrew Charron // Icons in Part By: Travis Carden