An Instagib Teeworlds Clan

finest quality spinning since 2008

IRC: #monkeystyle on quakenet

[Article] How to ... make a clan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MonkeyStyle Forum Index // Other Topics // Community News
Previous topic :: Next topic  
~{MS}~ Eve
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri 15 May 2009, 10:09    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
HOW TO ... MAKE A CLAN

Ola! Here is the second article of the [Article] set! The main idea of this new and long read is to give you ideas and notes on how to make your clan alive from the first day to the eternity!

I can't go further without mentioning {Com}Astrate, who was the first to ask me this question : "Could you give me advice on how to improve my clan". I have to admit that at first I didn't know how to answer at all. Indeed it is a difficult question! But then, as I was in my bath with my yellow plastic duck, I thought about it and tried to see what I could find in ~{MS}~ that could possibly be an answer. Of course, our structure may not be the best one, and may only fit to us, monkeys...

There is no miracle "to do list" that will allow you to have the clan you've always dreamed of, but... let me try to expose to you the knowledge we gathered from our past gaming experience, and of course, MonkeyStyle experience :

The essence of a clan : the players

Don't be too many:

Don't be too many players. Mostly at the very birth of a clan. This will allow those few individuals to become the core players of the clan. They will grow up together in the game and develop friendship, which will finally lead to team cohesion. Moreover, what you may not realize at the very beginning is that a clan is time-consuming. So you'll have to build up a solid basis in order to see your clan grow up in the future. The more you are, the harder it is to manage, clan speaking.

Having common goals :

Having common goals is just essential. As before, for cohesion purposes, you have to be sure that everyone shares the same goals. This is why you have to ask yourselves those questions. Do we play :

- for fun? - no matter what happens, we are a bunch of cool people;
- for being competitive? - to make some clan wars;
- for being the best? - ... of the best of the best;

In order to answer those questions, ask yoursleves (again) how much you wanna be committed to the game. Indeed, playing for fun won't require much time from you. On the opposite, trying to be on the top level will require some qualities and loads of time. The main thing is to remember that if all the players don't share the same goals, this is the end of your clan before the beginning of the story. As a matter of fact, if some just wanna have fun, whereas the others wanna pwn everyone, you can be sure that one day or another, one of those two groups will leave, simply because the clan objectives will not fit to them.

Having a common mindset:

Having a common mindset... kinda the same as the previous point, but more mental-oriented. And maybe sometimes even more important. This is very, very important for everyone's cohesion. It is kinda hard to explain, but try to imagine the following situation: one of your players doesn't have the same sense of humour as the other one. This can lead to a big fight between the two individuals because they don't, and cannot, understand each other.

You have to know that in such situations, there is nothing else to blame but the recruitment. We'll see that point later on, but really try to make everyone fit with each other.

Recruitment

Be careful while recruiting :

Be careful while recruiting. I have seen many times players becoming clan members in a few seconds :

Clan member : "Hey, wanna enter my clan?"
Clanless player : "Hm why not. Ok."
Clan member : "Cool! Put the tag, you are officially a member!"

You may want to test the players in different ways. One, in order to know more about the player's ingame skills - aim / moves / brains. Second, in order to check out the player's mindset - see previous chapter.

Indirect recruitment :

In the same way, some clans are recruiting by what we could call : ingame advertising :

"My clan is recruiting, please come in my clan"
or
"Hey xxx, you wanna come in my clan?" ... "[i]Hey yyy, you wanna come in my clan?" ... "[i]Hey zzz, you wanna come in my clan?" ... etc

Let it be clear. Begging someone for something is not the best way to attract people. When asking people, you are being the client, and what you should rather be is the seller. So you'd better begin with a small clan, with only a few players, training and getting new skillz. Soon people will know you as a clan with decent and serious players. Then, at the end of a public game, yes, you can launch a little : "We are recruiting blablabla". Generally speaking, players will come to you on their own.

Management and stuff

Having a rally point :

Even if I think that it's getting more and more used by the communitee, I would like to mention it anyway : it is very important to have a place where each one can speak, find the others in order to share ideas about the game or anything, chat, say crap etc. Yes, always for cohesion and team spirit. And, of course, it is way easier to manage all this little world with such tools. A board can be a good idea. Having an irc chan is also useful for direct chat. Of course you can also use IM (skype, msn, etc)

I'm the boss :

Concerning leaders etc, each one of you may think differently. But obviously, there are two main thoughts :

1- Having a leader, and eventually co-leader(s);
2- Being a democrat;

I won't lie, I prefer the second option. This is how ~{MS}~ has been built up, and we have never regretted it. Ever. This allows us to make every decision collectively, so that everyone feels on the same level. No jealous individual, no internal competition. I know that lots of players think that I, Eve, am the leader here. But that's a big mistake. ~{MS}~, as for Adam, is kinda our little baby because we are at the origin of the coconut tree. But that's all.

However, being a democrat has one disadvantage, a kinda small one - making decisions takes a long time. But then you can be sure that everyone is happy with those decisions.

Here it is. I don't know what else to say. Hope it is clear, as usual, and don't hesitate to share your opinions here!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri 15 May 2009, 10:09    Post subject: Publicité
PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Azon
Diddy Kong
Diddy Kong

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 12:42    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
Seems like you hit all the spots which matter when building a clan, and I think it gives everything a starting clan could possibly want to know. The only addition which you could possible add (not necessary though) is the practical side of setting up a clan website and forum. Although this is probably easy enough for most starting clans.

One side of me would love to add this on the TeeWiki, but another side thinks that it deserves it's spot here and here only, as a hidden jewel which only our visitors can uncover. What do you think?
MSN Skype
~{MS}~ Tho
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 12:46    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
What if you add some credits in the teewiki article ?

Like in a small introduction "this article was written by the clan MonkeyStyle (website url) in order to share blabla" ?

Behold bastard son, I am the evil one !
~{MS}~ Eve
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 13:06    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
Or maybeh you can put only:

- introduction
- summary

And link this to this page
Diddy Kong
Diddy Kong

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 23:58    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
I'm not sure but i don't think that many Tee are searching information in TeeWiki : me at first ... ^ ^

Perhaps, like Eve, write the introduction and the summary will want to know more and bring other players on your board
~{MS}~ ksm
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 10:33    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
Tho, I request an article from u, "How to become a Frag-machine" 

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 10:34    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
Answer : Hax !
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 10:56    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
Lol... in russian "Hax" have its own meaning...
example: "пошел НАХ!" (poshel nah!) - its like a "fuck u!" (shortened version of "poshel nahuy!")

Have u meant this speaking to me? ))

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 10:59    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
Easy, when you see a tee behind your crosshair, you shoot. (kassdédi pmcc )

~{MS}~ o10
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 11:55    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
HaxogumbcR!

Stick to the topic or I'll stick my stick up your...
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 13:20    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
~{MS}~ Tho wrote:
kassdédi pmcc

+1 : find the head and shoot. I remember our tdm where he just made like 15 hs each... souvenirs!
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 14:10    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
Remember his 51/0 on campgrounds ? SICK. I still have the demo I think :>

Anyway,

~{MS}~ Eve
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 14:12    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
I do have it too

Was in an official game on Campgrounds-G1E. On this map, his spot was the LG, which he always camped... we used to bring him a RL here in order to defend in close combat, and then... he was god.

Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 15:10    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
hmmm  r u  talkin aboot UT? 

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 15:13    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan Reply with quote
yes we are, for sure. Both Tho and I were UT player, and for a time, inthe same team

PostPosted: Today at 00:35    Post subject: [Article] How to ... make a clan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MonkeyStyle Forum Index // Other Topics // Community News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create my own forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
alexisBlue v1.2 // Theme Created By: Andrew Charron // Icons in Part By: Travis Carden