An Instagib Teeworlds Clan

finest quality spinning since 2008

IRC: #monkeystyle on quakenet

Community language barrier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MonkeyStyle Forum Index // Other Topics // Floody discussions - Public
Previous topic :: Next topic  
~{MS}~ Zongo
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 15:17    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
You maybe saw, that I prepared some kind of clan link list in the teeworlds subforum, and by doing this I again realized (better: was reminded of) the fact that most of the community is split up in some kind of language-driven sub-communities, i.e. a large german community, a russian community, etc., and only few clans even try to also present something in english on their pages, mostly because of the fact that all members speak the same language and there's no real motivation to use english (and some people just are not able to participate in an english community to lack of english skills).
Currently this more or less leads to the situation, that our contact is limited to those clans, which have members motivated/able to use english and can cross beyond the artificial language-border in the community. Real multinational clans are somewhat rare as you know.

I wondered how it might be possible to improve this situation. Surely we won't convince anyone to use english instead of their native language if they did not do it in the first place.
So how about turning things around, that is, give visitors a possibility to get in touch with us using one of the languages our members provide (after all this is some kind of benefit of having a multinational community). Corresponding to our current active members this would imply to introduce, e.g., a german subforum, a russian subforum, and a french subforum, in which (and only there) people might get in touch with us in the particular language for
- get in touch
- ask stuff
- organize matches

I have no clue if this is even worth a try, but I believe it might.

Opinions?
(don't club me if you dislike )

tl,dr: add subforums for allowing limited usage other languages than english?

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 15:17    Post subject: Publicité
PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
~{MS}~ XaKe
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 16:00    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
The idea itself probably is worth a try but many of us actually didn't want to many users on this single board, no?
~{MS}~ Eve
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 16:25    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
~{MS}~ XaKe wrote:
The idea itself probably is worth a try but many of us actually didn't want to many users on this single board, no?

Imo, the more users there are, the better the community can be. This was kinda the case when a lot of people were here because of the OGC#1 cup. If we can gather people to chat altogether, it'll be god for meh

Nice idea zongo btw.
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 16:47    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
Just wondered if we actually want this, but I like it.
Imo this could be helpful to encourage users to participate at other discussions/things after dealing with their stuff in the corresponding subforum.
~{MS}~ Eve
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 16:49    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
~{MS}~ XaKe wrote:
Just wondered if we actually want this, but I like it.
Imo this could be helpful to encourage users to participate at other discussions/things after dealing with their stuff in the corresponding subforum.

Exactly my friend

Diddy Kong
Diddy Kong

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 17:34    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
Great idea, having some sort of ambassadors for each language. Still, shame on you Zongo, you forgot Luxembourgish!!!!!
~{MS}~ Zongo
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 17:58    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
James wrote:
Great idea, having some sort of ambassadors for each language. Still, shame on you Zongo, you forgot Luxembourgish!!!!!

Damn i already made "e.g." fat and underlined, and still someone appears and complains

Further opinions?
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 20:04    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
We used to have Dutch and Polish too! Lol, I just realized that Zongo is able to participate to some degree in all these subforums. fu.

Seriously, this seems to be a good idea, but I'm afraid that only german subforum will be active, and the english part of the forum will slowly die Probably worth trying though
~{MS}~ XaKe
Monkey
Monkey

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 20:17    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
~{MS}~ Jini wrote:

Seriously, this seems to be a good idea, but I'm afraid that only german subforum will be active,

+1

~{MS}~ Jini wrote:
and the english part of the forum will slowly die Probably worth trying though

The English part will continue being kept alive at least still only by us.
~{MS}~ Zongo
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 20:24    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
~{MS}~ Jini wrote:
We used to have Dutch and Polish too! Lol, I just realized that Zongo is able to participate to some degree in all these subforums. fu.

Seriously, this seems to be a good idea, but I'm afraid that only german subforum will be active, and the english part of the forum will slowly die Probably worth trying though

Well, the german community seems to be the largest compared to the other ones, so it appears to be natural, that this forum would be the most active. However, we must in any case avoid that a theoretical german (or any of those) subforum will take any kind of dominant role versus the rest of the board. This is why I believe it is absolutely neccessary to think about strict rules for such boards...

However, at the current situation those boards would not make much of a difference due to the low number of visitors. So it's more whether the forum provides this possibility for future developments...
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 22:55    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
ok with help of Jini and James I added the three subforums. They're not open yet since we need to think of and write some rules, but have a look and please suggest things here!
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 14:47    Post subject: Community language barrier Reply with quote
Well, I added some naïsh icons

PostPosted: Today at 08:46    Post subject: Community language barrier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MonkeyStyle Forum Index // Other Topics // Floody discussions - Public All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create my own forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
alexisBlue v1.2 // Theme Created By: Andrew Charron // Icons in Part By: Travis Carden